Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Beginning work @ Beck

I am currently working for a construction company by the name of Beck Group in Dallas, Texas. Within Beck we have a group of people who work for At&t - Beck alliance. Currently, I am working on an Internet Data Center for At&t. First day at work was insane.....My boss walked me the whole site and showed me how the data center works. Only thing that I caught out of the whole process was that, these are the servers for various clients At&t wants to sell this space to and the electrical and mechanical system running these servers can NEVER go off. This whole week felt like a bad dream where everyone else except me understood everything that was going on at the data center. I attended the subcontractor and owners meetings in the first week itself and all I had in my meeting minutes were 10-15 words that I didnt know the head or tail of.
Next week, Monday, my boss explained the meanings of all those terms that I did not understand in the meetings and dropped a bomb on me saying that I will be responsible for meeting minutes for the subcontractor meetings here onwards. I haven't forgotten to drink coffee on Fridays since then. :) Soon I found myself responsible for Request for Information from Architects and Engineers, transmittal, many small project coordination. Taking down the meeting minutes was a good task. It gave me a gist of things happening on the site and introduced me to different subcontractors performing various duties on the site.
Within the 1st & 2nd week I was put through a lot of training. Beck believes in continuous training and cross training. This gives every employee an opportunity to learn something new constantly.
Now I am two months old with Beck and feel much better about the job. I have great amount of faith in my boss and I think he has a plan for me in mind. This gives me a direction to work and keeps me moving up the progress ladder.
My boss always told me that our job is never 8-5 type, its always 7:30 to whatever it takes. I am starting experience that now. Tomorrow will be my first duty beyond midnight all by myself. Pretty exciting!!! :)

No comments: